Monday, May 08, 2006

A little bit about me and my favourite book.

I'm a girl, in my twenties and I live in England. The thing is, I'm so boring I don't have anything to write; I go to work and I come home; usually Eastenders turns out to be the highlight of my day...sad, I know.

Any way, my current favourite book is "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker. What a book! Walker is a genius; her prose is layered, nuanced and emotive. Don't be put off by the "heavy" subject matter, the book is by turns brutal, shocking, humorous and heartwarming. I haven't seen the film by Spielberg all the way through, but it looks pretty good too.

The story is narrated by Celie and we follow her throughout a 30-40 year period of her life. It is written in a series of letters and in a southern American dialect and Walker imbues her characters with so much vivacity and spirit, it is easy to lose yourself in this world.

If you want a good book I suggest this one.

No comments: